Thursday, April 05, 2007

To trust, or not?

Samuel Johnson said it is better to suffer wrong than to do it, and better to be sometimes cheated than not to trust.

I think I might have an issue with trust, a mighty fortress that I am. After being repeatedly asked "Do you trust me?" I begin to wonder... do I, really? At first I thought I did. But then getting to know someone better requires more trust... or does it take knowing someone better to acquire trust? All I know is that it's slow in coming at the moment. As though I let people get close enough just to see, but then I don't open up anymore to let them really understand. I never thought of myself as an especially guarded individual, and I don't think that's my current problem. What is the problem is just not letting go quite as much as I'm expected to.

So slow down. Don't go so fast. Imagine me as a tricky labyrinth which must be navigated with care. One wrong turn might send you out altogether, but there are no short cuts to the center. Moreover, nobody has been there before... or at least not in a very long time. Pioneering a new path is seldom easy.

That's a long way of saying it isn't easy for me to trust right now, I'm not ready to hand over the keys just yet.

No comments: