Wednesday, April 11, 2007

A bicycle built for 2

I managed to do something utterly stupid just now and erase my entire post, just as I was trying to edit it. I'm still getting the hang of using pictures in my posts, though I'm so fantabulously impressed with my ability to take pictures using my cell phone now.

So let's talk about the pictures! My office is moving in a few weeks, so I'm going to have to take down this very attractive (um, yeah?) display that has been in my office for almost two years. Each image is a page from a weekly planner I had (Harley-Davidson) and has a picture of a motorcycle, and a quote. For the most part, the quotes deal with freedom, adventure, travel--some I agree with, some I don't, but they're all food for thought. They're great for conversation too, though it's unfortunate I always have to admit, "No, I don't have a motorcycle... yet."

My office is right down the hall from the elevator too, so as soon as someone steps off it, they can see straight into my office and this little mosaic. I think it's much nicer than the bleak stale sterile white wall behind it.

If you scroll down a few posts, you'll see a post about a camel... there's even a picture of the camel. Read the comments. My dear sister (yes I know it was you) has advised me that I should just marry the camel but I had to ask my parents' permission first. So now I'm wondering about marrying camels and other desert people...

And then I think about Star Wars. Why? Because so much of the story is tied to a little planet called Tatooine. On the same planet you find an honest little boy who builds robots (like C-3PO) you also find a roving dumpster that scavenges robots. It's the planet where Obi-Wan was hiding out and Luke Skywalker was growing up. Also the origin of Darth Vader (evil apprentice,) but the same place where we find "scoundrels" (Leia's word, not mine) who would rather make a buck than resist the encroachment of the Evil Empire. Even if they're very handsome and excellent pilots... no wait, that's not the point...

The point is, is it worth risking an encounter with the Tusken Raiders (who captured Anakin's mom and tied her up like an animal!) to seek out Obi-Wan, who is the only one that can answer your questions? But what if you run into trouble, find yourself being chased by Imperial fighters--can you count on your scoundrel pilot friend (who was after all, only the "hired help") to cover you? Or are you going to find yourself in a metal bikini chained to a giant slug?

Oh boy.
But on a more cheerful note, tulips are quite beautiful, really. Especially these hot pink ones. My desk isn't really beautiful, cluttered as it is with soon-to-be-recycled half-size plans. The other half of my desk is too crowded with file folders to fit the vase. But to create a more charming scene, I took the tulips home with me, and there they sit now on my desk by the window just starting to bloom.

Here's trying not to screw up the post this time. Thanks for reading!

No comments: