Thursday, March 20, 2008

Nightmares

It's getting to be a bit of an annoying problem. I don't recall that while I was growing up I had all that many powerful nightmares. Maybe I did. It just seems that lately--in the last several months--I've had more, and they've been worse. I'm not sure why exactly...

But usually when I have a nightmare, the images are related somehow to some very powerful or frightening image I've seen recently. For example, several months ago I watched a movie I knew was a horror film... watched about an hour and a half and saw nothing particularly scary--only to see something that scared the bejeezees out of me. I shut the movie off right then and then had nightmares about that one thing for weeks! I can still see it clear as day, too, unfortunately.

Since then--after several varied and some recurring nightmares, I decided I should try to avoid when possible any kind of "horror" film, or scenes in any movie that I think might be disturbing. It's served me well. Just the other night though I left watching a movie with friends because I had read a review on the film which suggested it had a theme which I thought could give me nightmares--I'm starting to take it more seriously, you see.

But my roommate actually enjoys these kinds of films, and sometimes while I'm sitting on the couch doing something on the laptop, she'll be watching something like 'House on Haunted Hill' or 'Jeepers Creepers' and so on. I've gotten better about deliberately covering my eyes in parts and leaving the room.

I was talking to my dad not too long ago and he mentioned the same thing--having nightmares, and so he wouldn't watch any kind of horror film. I'm getting to be the same way now--staying away from it entirely because I know I will see it. Stuff like that which frightens me, I keep seeing it, the image just burned there in my mind. When I think about the movies people watch these days... I really wonder what is wrong with us that some people actually enjoy these things. I know for me at least, it's not healthy to watch that stuff... it just makes me think that make it's not good for anyone.

3 comments:

Amoola said...

assallamu alaikum,

Horror films have never interested me. I dont like to freak myself out! Also, I'd hate to have my sleep disturbed by a nightmare because of something freaky I've watched.

Like you, I've often wondered why people like to watch such things. What baffles me more though, are the people who actually come up with such scripts! What sort of minds do such people have?

Images stay in our minds for years if not forever, we really need to be careful what we allow our eyes to see.

UmZ

Anonymous said...

Assalamo Alaikom sister

Some people search for something strange, even if it's a horror film

The best thing is to avoid such scenes, and also to say the evening supplications and read Qur'an before going to sleep at night

Do you know what to say if you do see in a dream something you dislike?

"It’s recommended for anyone who sees a bad and terrifying dream to wake up and do the following:

1-Seeking refuge in Allah from the Shaitan (Satan) saying "A`oodho billahi mina ash-Shaitan ar-Rajeem (I seek refuge in Allah from the accursed Satan."

2-Spitting three times on the left.

3-Refraining from relating the dream to anybody lest it makes them worry"

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503544742

May Allah protect you from nightmares

Salam and all the best

Cortoby

Amy said...

Wa alaikum as-salaam UmmZ and Cortoby --

When I wake up from a nightmare I usually do seek refuge in Allah first, until I calm down.

And I've noticed that if I read some Qur'an before going to bed, just make dhikr or supplications before going to sleep, then I tend to not have nightmares. I didn't mention that before, but it's worth saying.

Jazakumallahu khairan for the advice.