Monday, August 14, 2006

The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman

I spent a good many hours in Barnes and Noble this weekend reading books about Christianity. I always get funny looks. Here's this girl in hijab, why is she reading about 'The Authentic Gospel of Jesus' or the roots of Christianity. Last night the guy beside me wasn't even discreet as he kept trying to read the cover of the book I was holding, and I got plenty of stares from men in the chair accross the aisle, I know, while I was minding my own business. It's always weird for people to stare... anyway. After all that reading I wanted to do something that wasn't mentally taxing at all.. watch a movie.

So I went to blockbuster to see if there was anything worthwhile. My brother decided long ago I ought not be allowed to select movies by myself, even for myself, because the strangest things seem to catch my eye. I had seen Steve Coogan in Around the World in 80 Days, one of my favorite movies now, and thought he was pretty funny, so to see him in a more British flick I thought might be interesting. Well. I've never read this book, The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman, and really have no clue what's going on... the movie is called Tristram Shandy, a Cock & Bull Story, to give you an idea. It's just weird, so I cut it off after about 45 minutes... may or may not watch the rest. It's funny but not in any organized or sequential sort of way. To anyone reading, I do not recommend it. But I did successfully waste time last night while it was on...

While I was at blockbuster, I got a compliment from a man who was standing at the counter. "You have very pretty blue eyes," he said. Naturally, as I would after any compliment, I replied with a polite "Thank you" before it registered... and just as he was about to say something about my scarf, undoubtedly, I interjected, "Actually, they're green." Really, my eyes--they're green. Anyone who has seen me ought to be able to attest to that fact, although, I've sometimes admitted that they seem to change colors. Odd, isn't it? But lately they had been very stable as green and I stopped telling about the color-changing bit because people thought it was weird. And I admitted to him then that sometimes they did seem to change, and since I was wearing a pale blue headscarf, he commented that the blue "wrap" (as he called it) really brought out the blue. Maybe it did. I'm gonna start saying again that my eyes change colors. :P

No comments: