Friday, August 06, 2010

Planning Practice

After spending months of idling in Washington, my life is picking up speed. My days are filled with more tasks, requirements, more things I need to accomplish. And so it seems like time is becoming short.

In the past several months I've been able to enjoy being a newlywed, focus on my health, and become lightly involved with the local Muslim community. In the past several weeks I've been able to visit my family in North Carolina, and have my husband's family (who are also my family, I love them so dearly) visit me as well. In fact, they just left today.

Up until now I've been living very much "in the moment" without planning too far ahead. And it's time for this habit to change, abruptly. In little over a month, I'll be leaving Washington for Texas to spend 10 months studying Arabic. And I need to maintain some of the good habits (health-wise) I've developed here in Washington.

I will have to transition from a free and spontaneous lifestyle to one with a strictly regimented schedule. And yet find time to prepare home-cooked healthy meals like I'm used to, and also exercise on a daily basis. During this transition, I have to prepare for a cross-country move and a week-long vacation with my husband, and maintain a schedule of teaching at halaqas in addition to preparing a few iftars at my home, all while fasting.

So my new lifestyle (the one in Texas) will require careful planning on a daily basis to fit in classes, studying, exercise, and meal-planning. My intermediate lifestyle requires careful planning to accomplish all my tasks in a relatively short period of time with the disadvantage of being fasting during the day and occupied at night inshaaAllaah with prayers.

So for the next month (or so) I am going to practice and perfect the art of planning and scheduling until it is easy for me. May Allah make it easy and put barakah in my time.

3 comments:

Umm Aaminah said...

A'salaamu alaikum sis. Masha'allah... you have so much going on. I pray that Allah does indeed make it easy on you and your husband. I am sure being apart will be very difficult but insha'allah you will get much hasanat as you are doing this purely for the sake of Allah swt.

Asim said...

Its just astonishing that in this day and age people can argue about God and religion.

First one would have to provide evidence for the existence of God.

I have asked many a muslim for this proof and not even one could furnish it.

This is the question.

For there to be a creator, there must be something created.

As we know from the first law of thermodynamics, the principle of conservation of energy, as well as Einsteins work; Energy and mass can neither be created or destroyed.

Since we have no evidence of a "creation" event, and we know that energy and mass can neither be created or destroyed.

How can any rational human being assume that there is a creator?

The ancients misunderstood the nature of the world, and believed that things were created and destroyed, and therefore to this there must be a creator/destroyer.

But science has completely refuted this notion.

There is no creator.

Anonymous said...

@Asim - Dude, I assume you didn't mean what you just wrote. I mean seriously?



"First one would have to provide evidence for the existence of God."

For some, the fine balance (carbon ratio, gravity etc) in the universe is enough to assume that it is designed. Leaving that fact aside, by asking for a material proof, you are assuming that by studying the creature (universe in this case) you can find out about the creator (i.e. Allah). To me, it sounds like saying that 'by studying the design of first liquid fuel rocket, you can understand about the existence and personality of Robert H. Goddard'. Which is not true.



"For there to be a creator, there must be something created."

Okay, then how did it all started?



"As we know from the first law of thermodynamics, the principle of conservation of energy, as well as Einsteins work; Energy and mass can neither be created or destroyed".

Again, the basic question, in an 'uncreated world', where did all this mass and energy come from? Don't think about the universe as its too big. Just think about your very own self. How did you come into being from a single sperm and an egg? Seriously, think about it. (On a side note, once mass transforms into energy its gone. It isn't reversible in most cases.)



Since we have no evidence of a "creation" event, and we know that energy and mass can neither be created or destroyed.

Please don't embarrass yourself on public forums. For the very least, you should read 'A brief history of time' by Stephen Hawking. Even an atheist like him believes in a 'beginning'. (Though he can't answer 'why').



"How can any rational human being assume that there is a creator?"

Seriously? I mean, you really want me to believe that you came out of a sperm and an egg all by an accident? How did that single sperm and an egg transformed into you? Dude, trust me, there's a purpose of life. And you are more than a sexual accident between your parents.



"The ancients misunderstood the nature of the world, and believed that things were created and destroyed, and therefore to this there must be a creator/destroyer.
But science has completely refuted this notion."


Can you please give me examples of 'fully' understood scientific phenomenons that happen all by 'themselves' without any external force or catalyst? Since, science has completely refuted that, you should be able to give me tons of examples. Right?

Science is a form of rationality. Not everything that isn't scientific is irrational. For example, science can't tell us if a certain piece of poetry or music is good or bad. Science, does tell us that giving poison to someone will kill him, but it doesn't tell us if it is morally wrong to do so.




There is no creator.

This type of thinking is an exercise is mental masturbation. It surely feels good. But it won't get anything done for you.

Cheers,
Anonymous Coward :)