Thursday, May 07, 2009

Miss me?

Everybody has the same number of hours in a day. The same number of minutes. The difference is how we choose to use those minutes.

I could choose to meander around the web, browsing semi-interesting articles on subjects I find fascinating, I could sit on the sofa playing computer games or watching TV, I could walk to the park to fly a kite, and I could focus intently on schoolwork, for once.

Over the last few weeks, I decided to focus on schoolwork. It was incredibly stressful, so while I was studying I didn't devote any time to blogging, or even reading blogs. (My Google reader log has expanded to over 150 unread posts.)

And I guess I got a lot done. But I still have a lot left to do, including finishing a project well past its deadline. And there's a lot I didn't get done--my grandfather passed away just two weeks ago (inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon), and I wasn't able to attend the funeral. He was 91, and I've seen him only once in 8 years. And I think that has been a blessing, that I didn't see him deterioate with Alzheimer's until he couldn't recognize anyone, that I didn't see him go blind, or wither away as he did in the last few months.

And as I sit here thinking about it, I feel the necessity of da'wah bearing down upon me. At times I know it's hard enough just worrying about myself, and what I will be held to account for on the Day of Judgment. But when I remember that the Prophet (saws) was not allowed to pray for his uncle, or for his mother... I just don't know what I'll be able to feel about my own parents when their time is up, knowing as I do what might be waiting for them.

Twenty-four hours. One thousand four hundred forty minutes. Time keeps ticking, and I have no shortage of worries to fill it with.

3 comments:

Uthman said...

Perhaps this will help you.

Hear this all the way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpd-Ek1-RRc

its five parts.....inshAllah whomsoever Allah guides none can misguide and whomsoever Allah misguides none can guide. Do your part, give dawah and make sincere Dua for them. If Allah Wills they will.....And also never despair of His Mercy......have faith in Allah!

Searcher said...

Salam aleykom wr wb. How are you, sister?

I am a muslim from Iran. you can read some English articles about Islam at my blog but my most notes are in Persian.

My blog is update with "What Non-Muslims Say About…Islam"

fi amanellah

Amoola said...

Inna lilahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon.

Its hard losing family members, especially when they do not die as muslims. We know however, that Allah is Most Just, and He will judge fairly in the End. We can only do our best in getting the message of Islam across to people. Its up to them to accept or reject it.

Much love.

UmZ