Monday, January 09, 2006

Think Fast

Today was the Day of Arafah. As such, it is a day of optional fasting for Muslims, and fasting on this day is said to, according to the Prophet (peace be upon him) to expiate two years worth of sins, being the previous year and the following year. That's a lot, and with a fair amount of encouragement, I was able to fast for the first time today, mashallah!

When I got up (which was an incredibly early 5am!) I fixed myself some eggs with salsa, and had some toast as well. Why? Because for me, that is a long time to go without food! I had also bought some dates which I caried around with me all day. But I was able to keep my fast all day, and didn't start with the dates until after the sun went down. Of course I am addicted to caffeine, and the withdrawal headache began shortly after noon. This afternoon was rough, I won't lie. I was at work, exhausted (I did a fair amount of hiking this morning for classes) physically and mentally. But I suppose I shouldn't complain too much. This afternoon some excedrin kicked the pain and I feel really happy about what I did.

Tomorrow is Eid al-Adha, and I'm planning to pray the Eid Salat at the exposition center. Inshallah it will be a very moving experience. :) I have class and work following, however, and won't really get a chance to celebrate. But the prayer is exciting for me.

Tonight my dad asked me, when I happened to mention that I fasted today, why I am fascinated with "that Arabic stuff" but not with "the Christian doctrine." How do I explain that I'm Muslim? What Islam is, how it makes so much sense, and how I can worship now in so many way that I never did before. (Not that I couldn't before, just was never really encouraged to.) One day I'll have to have an answer, I think. Inshallah, it will be easy.

Inshallah it will all be easy!

No comments: