Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Taking My Own Advice

A few years ago I posted some thoughts about being a recent convert in Ramadan. In my first few Ramadans, meeting many new people (at iftars, at the masjid, etc.) made a huge impact on me. So I would strongly encourage anyone who can to try and invite new Muslims when hosting iftars. It's a great time to help them learn more about Islam by observing, rather than reading.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to host any iftaars myself for the last few years because of my living arrangements. So this is my first year hosting--and I did take my own advice and host a few this Ramadan. And alhamdulillah, it's been a lot of fun. I announced my own iftars at other events and a mailing list for local sisters, to have a sisters-only iftar. I've had three, the last one tonight, and saw a different crowd each night. I've also seen many of the same sisters at other iftar events.

Alhamdulillah, the sisters in Seattle already recognized the importance of having iftars for converts and singles who wouldn't otherwise have anyone to celebrate with, and already scheduled weekly iftars. These were another opportunity for me to meet even more people.

It's sad that I'll be leaving soon and won't see these sisters again until next Ramadan, but I'm looking forward to it. And now I'm much more optimistic about stabilizing once I get back from Texas inshaaAllaah, since I feel much less like an outsider than I did even a few weeks ago.

1 comment:

Umm Aaminah said...

Salaam sis and Ramadhan mubarak. I was wondering if you would be so kind as to check out the "interfaith" dialogue going on over at my blog? I have constructed a lengthy post (http://anaashad.blogspot.com/2010/08/in-response-to-lfogs-charges-against.html) to address many of the charges in a methodical manner. I really appreciate the way you approach these types of things (as evidenced by your writing on your blog). Please, if you have time, read it and feel free to comment and correct or make additions to what I have stated.

Jazaki allahu khair...